Nephrology Phone Numbers (Existing Patients): 703.635.7366
Comprehensive care for children with kidney disorders
The team of specialists in Kidney Disorders and Hypertension at Pediatric Specialists of Virginia (PSV) offers one of the only child-focused nephrology practices in northern Virginia. Managing the many complex conditions of the kidney in children requires expertise in providing both clinical care and compassionate support for children and their families.
By streamlining treatment into a single convenient Virginia location wherever possible, the team hopes to ease the strain that undergoing treatment can put on families. This full-service program offers diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of infants, children, and adolescents with nearly every kidney disorder and related complications, including (but not limited to):
- Blood and/or protein in the urine
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- Pediatric hypertension
- Kidney stones
- Renal insufficiency
- Congenital nephrologic and urologic abnormalities/disorders
- Renal failure
Families have access to a unique set of pediatric focused support services, particularly:
- Preventive care programs: For patients with conditions like hypertension, chronic kidney disease or recurrent kidney stones, we offer tailored treatment strategies for each child, including consultation with a dietician who gives families dietary tools to help prevent the onset or progression of disease.
- Prenatal counseling: Expectant parents can receive genetic testing and prenatal counseling to help prepare for the birth of a baby with a renal disorder or urologic abnormality.
- Integrated care: The team works closely with colleagues including urology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, and cardiology to address the needs of children with multiple disorders in one location.
- Renal sonography and Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM): In-office renal sonograph and blood pressure monitoring ensures patients don’t have to travel to multiple offices for initial diagnostic imaging or regular monitoring.
- Urinalysis: On-site urinalysis allows us to accurately determine the presence of underlying renal disorders.
- Transplantation: Resources and support necessary to preserve renal function while awaiting kidney transplantation, and also to assist patients and families adjust to life after kidney transplant.
- Immediate consultations: Pediatric nephrologists are available 24 hours a day for onsite or telephone consultation with referring physicians and hospitals across the Washington, DC, metro area.
Our pediatric specialists are experts in treating the whole child and family, and include:
- Social workers